Monday, January 18, 2010

I am gonna try to take a little lunch; so busy this week! Today, thanks to Dr. King, is a "floating holiday" at my work, but it is far too busy to take off today, so looks like I'm basically just getting an extra vacay day :) Speaking of which, I registered with Cheap Tickets, in hopes that some amazing airfare deal a la my trip to Ireland will pop up in my inbox soon, causing me to take full advantage of my new (thanks to moving home) ability to travel!

I guess I didn't do a whole lot this weekend, but it felt pretty eventful -- I'm sure a lot of that feeling has to do with the fact that my whole body is so so sore. Went to the gym and had a pretty solid workout with my sister on Friday night, did four miles with Giselle at Mission Bay Saturday morning, followed by an intense, hour-plus gym workout immediately afterward and a pretty decent hike on Sunday. Ouch. I guess it's mainly 'cause I did a lot of weights, plus the hiking on top of it. Oh well -- no pain, no gain! Plus, I consumed an obscene amount of oatmeal-chocolate-chip cookie dough yesterday. Plus the baked cookies :(

Regardless of all that, the main point of this post was actually supposed to be about a documentary I watched, "Man on Wire." It was about a young French man in the '70s who used to tight-rope walk all over the world, and in terrifying places. Mainly, it focused on his conquering of the newly built (at the time) World Trade Center/Twin Towers in NYC. TERRIFYING. My feet are tingling just thinking about it again. The documentary was alright, but the fact that this man had such a passion for something -- seriously, he is obsessed with tight-rope walking, still to this day -- really made me kind of sad about the world today. People, especially my generation and younger, are so consumed with instant results, the Internet and anything to do with electronics (texting, MP3s, whatever) that I feel like we might start to lose the "criminal artists" (such as Phillipe Petite in the documentary) or even just passionate oddballs that seem to kinda fill in the little niches in societies. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe I was just sad that I myself have kind of fallen victim to the non-creative, up-and-coming, instant lifestyle I speak of.

Note to self: Try not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment